Friday, August 2, 2013

Pre-Drywall Meeting/Rate Lock/Moving - Oh my!

There is so much going on this week that I'm waiting for the day I forget a kid somewhere. 

Pre-Drywall Meeting:
My husband went to this early this morning. All looked very good and he caught the one mistake we thought we had spotted in our last site visit. They had put in a second sink pipe for the master bath. Yes, I realize we are probably the only builders on this side of the planet doing a single bowl in the master bath, but I have my reasons!! LOL Besides the fact that we never get ready at the same time, I really wanted the other side of the counter free for my hair/makeup/etc because I do not want my actual bedroom cluttered up with this stuff as it has been in our current house. 
We did, however, put the double sink in the girls' bathroom, because, you know, some day the 4- and 2-year-olds will be 16- and 14-year-olds. Eek! The builders had them switched. After checking the plans hanging in the window, the PM agreed that my husband was absolutely right and they would change them. 
PM also said the drywall would be hung next week as well as the siding will go up and the porch will be finished. Yay!! If it gets too humid, the drywall could be held up a day or two to de-humidify. We have had unseasonably cool and dry weather for 2 weeks so I'm sure super humid August weather will kick in just in time ;P
PM also told my husband we are looking at a close date in... the second or THIRD week now of September. To recap we went from: 1) Sep. 3 at signing, to 2) mid-to-late August pre-3 weeks rain, to 3) first or second week of September after framing started to now... 4) second to third week of Sep. Moving in the wrong direction, people.
I've now lost all hope of being in before the pool closes for the season and now it looks like it will be after preschool starts as well. Trying to relax because, hey, it will get done. Deep breaths...


Foyer
Kitchen

Family room with 4 foot extension
Morning Room
Master Bedroom
Girls room (Bedroom 2) We can't figure out why these two windows are so close together when no other windows in the house are like this. There doesn't seem to be any obvious structural reason. Who knows?
Guest Bedroom (Bedroom 3)
 
Playroom (Bedroom 4)
Front porch
Front porch

Rate Lock:
More deep breathing. When we put the money down for our lot in April and had the mortgage app meeting...rates were at 3.5%. We qualified for their lowest rate... That is now...4.5%(!!), which we locked in this week. I know, I know it's still historically a WAY LOW rate (my parents built in the late 70s in the 12%s) and I know it was an unprecedented (entire percentage in a short time) jump but still I just want to whine: noooooottttt faaaaaaiiiiiiirrrrr. It's about a $180/month difference. We are fine with all of it and knew rates would eventually go back up...I guess I just wanted to get under that 4 number. But, ain't gonna happen now. Lucky all of you who got locked in before it jumped!!

Moving:
We are packing, packing, packing to leave our current home this Sunday morning...we go on vacation and then move in with friends. I've had all sorts of lovely conversations with the post office, utilities, etc. I just want to take a very long nap.

2 comments:

  1. It starts moving pretty quick from here! If drywall not up yet, it's perfect time to run any pipe for rear speakers, central vac, etc...
    good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your rate, they sure did jump fast. We closed in January and locked in November 2012 and are in at 3.25%. We could not have built this home at 5% rate. Rather I should say WOULD NOT..lol!

      We made a bold move, building and moving our family before we were ready, but at the rates, we figured we had to did it NOW, glad I listened to the hubby cause if not, we would have not built a home :)

      Yes 4.5 is still awesome, but I can relate when you KNOW it could have been better, hey atleast its not 5% right?

      Delete