Sunday, August 25, 2013

Flooring Surprise

So, on Friday night we got to enjoy a date night out thanks to our friends who are hosting us in our homelessness. We started out the date by heading to the house, which we had not checked on all week. We expected to see the stone to grade almost done:


The blank space is where the stairs to the porch will go.

Lots of stone around the garage

We walked in the garage and surprise! There were our appliances:


Then we walked upstairs and were shocked to see the hardwood floors down. The PM said they were doing stone and shutters (those weren't up) this week so we had not expected to see the flooring in.

Hardwood floors on 1st floor (except family room)
The kitchen cabinets going in here are espresso - we picked the natural wood look to contrast.
Vinyl floor in laundry room

The bathroom tile was in upstairs as well. Honestly, I was a little perplexed by the master bath tile. It looked like it had brownish tones but it was hard to tell with the dust. My question is does this:



Look like the tile in the middle (in between the hard wood and the brown tile) under the Ebony handrail stain sample??


The girls' bathroom tile looked right to me:


So, I don't know. I'm not sure who to even start asking about it. I think we packed away a lot of the order form paperwork in one of our storage units. I need to cross check the names of the tile first I think.

The stone is almost done going the whole way around...I'm very pleased with the way it looks with the grey siding.


Our navy blue shutters were on site:


Ok, this cracked me up. We knew the "stone" to grade was the lick n stick variety, but I guess I still thought it was real stone. Um, no. It's stone product. But, it's get this... inspired by nature.

Good grief.



It looks good though, so I will just laugh at the irony that they busted up tons of actual, legitimate rock to pour our foundation, to put up fake rock all around the foundation.

Our closing date is officially set for Sep. 16 at 9am!! That's 3 weeks from tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that it's really "lick/stick" like the AirStone product that is a lightweight peel/stick (http://www.lowes.com/pd_376371-35760-CLAMF_0__). If you actually pick this stuff up it has some real weight to it, and they use mortar to attach it to your foundation. We elected to do the cottage elevation which has the entire front/first floor in the stone and while they haven't started yet, from what we've seen of our neighbor's house we like the look.

    Do you know if the hardwood floors are running straight up under your kitchen cabinets? We requested this at our sales meeting... were told this was standard practice, and then our PM told us he won't do this because of all the "damage" that can occur to the floors when putting everything else in. Based off your picture... it looks like they put the floors down before the cabinets, but they don't go flush to the walls. Is this just unfinished, or will they not do the floors complete under where the cabinets will go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey nice observation about the hardwood floors in the kitchen. Same thing was told to us by our SR, that the floors would go under the cabinets and same explanation was given to us by our PM when that didn't happen. Interesting.....

      Delete
    2. As far as we know they aren't running the wood under the cabinets... certainly a cost-saving measure I assume but we are interested in getting extra boxes of wood flooring from Rusmur Flooring in case of future damage or in case we ever decide for some reason to move the layout of the kitchen and move cabinets.

      The lick n stick comment actually came from a friend of ours who is a mason and was goodnaturedly making fun of us. Yes, they definitely use mortar to attach the stone product and we are very happy with the look.

      Delete
  2. The master bath tile does look different to me, from the tile in the 'selections' photo. If I were you I'd just give a call to the PM and mention about the difference. I saw in another blog that they made a mistake with granite counter tops, so don't be surprised if something was wrong, (as long as they fix the mistake of cause)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to the Rusmur Floors rep today and she was awesome. She thinks it's possible it is residue from the mortar, which does have a brownish tint, but admits our tile itself should have no brown. I elected to go pick up the tile sample tomorrow and compare it myself again (she also offered to send someone to do the same.) If I decide that there is no way that it's residue then she said to call her right away and she'll put someone on it. The name of the tile was the same on all of the paperwork so there shouldn't have been an error, but she said once in awhile the boxes are actually labeled wrong. So, we shall see tomorrow if I'm crazy or not, ha ha.

      Delete
  3. YAY!! Its coming along nicely. The stone looks awesome. Can't wait to see the cabinets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just so pleased with the stone. I haven't seen our grey/stone combination in our neighborhood so I'm happy to be just a tad different...or you know, as different as they will let you be anyway, lol.

      Delete