Friday, August 9, 2013

And the drywall was hung...

So, we're now officially homeless. :) We closed on our old home today and handed it off to a very cute, if very young looking soon-to-be-married couple. The closing was delayed TWO hours for the mere reason that the bank or title company (I forget which) was having trouble getting their computer system to actually print out the documents.

Since we had driven back from vacation (leaving the girls with Grandma) to go to the closing, we used the delay to visit the new house.


Voila - siding and cabinets have arrived!

Siding and cabinetry sitting in garage
Retaining wall block arrived
The lighting inside is so weird to figure out for this novice photographer so you'll notice I eventually just gave up, threw on the flash and succumbed to the dreaded auto setting (ssh don't tell my photography teacher.)

Kitchen (pantry in back right)
This is my dear husband trying to show me how big of a TV we now "need." Um, settle down, Francis.
Family room view from kitchen
Morning room view from family room
Back side of family room
View from family room back at morning room and kitchen
Dining room, front door to right
You can see from the photo above that I don't like bannisters so our stairs have half walls instead. I don't see this very often so I thought I'd point it out for those still making choices.
Pass thru from morning room into kitchen
One thing I don't love about our Oakmont is the framing of the above pass through into the morning room. The model in our development, the Naples, was just wide open - no beam like this. I'm not sure why it's structurally necessary in the Oakmont as opposed to other models, I just know I'd like it better wiiiiide open. Ah, well.
Study
Bedroom 2 - girls will share initially
Bedroom 3 - guest room initially
Bedroom 4 - playroom initially
Girls'/Guest Bath
I am very happy with how much space is in the girls' bathroom. There is easily enough room to add a nice bench for them to use to change/store bath toys and still have lots of floor space.

Master Bath Tub
I thought I'd show a few from our master bath as well, since we chose options that I rarely, if ever, see on blogs. We opted to spend our money elsewhere and not do the luxury owner bath. At our SR's suggestion, we did an upgrade to a larger tub to accommodate my husband's (6'3") height. Ignoring the construction crud, I'm very pleased with its size:

Non-standard upgraded master tub
Obviously, without the luxury upgrade, we will not have wall tile (it's a fiberglass surround) so I have plans to add other decor to make sure it looks "nice." :) The surround does give lots of shelf space for shampoo and the like.
Master Bath with linen closet next to tub
We do get an extra linen closet in the MB instead, which is very handy.

My pics of the master closet are dumb and dark but you can see it on the left in the below pic, which was my attempt to actually get in one of our photos. :)

Me in MB on wall where (hopefully new king) bed will go
Me pretending to open imaginary refrigerator
We thought the siding was going to be started this week - not sure why it hasn't but we have had thunderstorms the last few days. The big humidifier they told us about is going strong to air out our new drywall. It looks so much more like a house now. We are definitely super excited. It is also super weird to be leaving vacation in a few days and not have a home to head home to. We are very thankful that God has provided us with AMAZING friends, with whom we are staying. Here we come, Chris and Laura!!


7 comments:

  1. We just had this same tub put in our master bath! I agree - it's a minimal upgrade cost, but I think it'll be much less maintenance than a shower, and it'll still be nice and spacious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear! I thought we were the only ones ;)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on selling your previous home!
    I see a lot of progress! :-) Love the size of the master tub! We did not have many options to choose from. Everything is looking pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's one huge weight lifted from the shoulders, for sure. Although my car wanted to drive back to the old house today, lol.

      Delete
  3. Looking good... that porch is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait...probably my favorite part of the house design!

      Delete
  4. It looks so great! I love all of the windows!

    ReplyDelete