Thursday, July 18, 2013

Framing Day 1.5

After several weeks of bad weather delays, our framing started yesterday morning (there were storms in the afternoon) and continued today... so a day and a half of framing down? I feel like other bloggers already had walls up by this day but I'm not going down that rabbit hole - we're just so relieved to get this going. Every day they can work is another day we don't have to live in our friend's basement ;).

My husband is able to drive by the house every day on his way home from work (and who are we kidding - he usually drives by at lunch, too, and sometimes on the way in to work) and texts me pics from his phone. We're planning to all go out Friday night so I can take my good camera but for now...iphone pics:

I know they are pretty boring to look at it but I'm sure many of you can recall the excitement of the house finally starting to take shape.

 View from cul-de sac:


Morning room (we could only get the single door onto the porch because we have the 4 foot extension on our family room. This always made me a little sad but considering how much our 2-and-4-year leave our current sliding glass door open, it probably means fewer bugs escaping into our house.


View in basement under morning room


Half of the morning room walls are up. The morning room windows will face east so we will actually get morning sun in it... depending on how much the hillside behind us will block it as it rises. This will be interesting to see when we're further along. 


As I type this, my ever-industrious better half is sledge hammering through rock in our basement to get the last few inches down to install the sump pump and bucket into the ground under the laundry room. The buyers want to come look at it in the next day or so. We are just praying that this is all resolved shortly so that the bleeding of money can stop.

I am continually amused by the random stuff that finds its way to you once you sign some papers... our current township called my cell phone to inform me that before we can leave the township we have to pay them the $2.10 in local income tax they claim we own them from 2010. Besides the fact that my husband remembers sending them a ridiculously low check like that before, just. really. You didn't care that we owed it two months ago, but now that we're leaving it's all, heeeeyyyy, we need our two bucks.

But who cares, we're framing!! Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Townships are great like that. I kept getting taxes from my own township when I moved (for YEARS even) and I would call, verify that I didn't owe anything and then throw away the bill. Then I got a wonderful "pre-collection" letter for not paying my taxes. So again, I called, verified that I didn't owe anything ("our systme sometimes sends those out... you can disregard") and threw it out.

    Now just a few weeks ago, I got a nice surprise in the mail: $700 refund for taxes paid to my old township in 2010. I have no idea what I did to deserve it, but apparently they do review these sorts of things and I gratefully accepted it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice surprise! After we bought our current home we got a several thousand dollar check from our escrow b/c the mortgage company (the loan was of course immediately sold so it was some shady company on the other said of the country) said we had overpaid at closing. So we bought furniture. Then the mortgage company said oops, you owe several thousand for school taxes. That company never, ever had our escrow right so we were happy when they sold our mortgage again soon after.

      Delete
  2. I guess they really need the $2.10 that bad, from here out you will see good progress on the build. it goes up really fast. The word verify thing is turned-on on your blog, if you turn it off you'll probably get more comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that this is about to speed up. And thanks for the verify tip - I turned it off. I hate those things.

      Delete