Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Blue Skies = Day 4 of Framing & New Close Estimate

I swear SW Pa doesn't have clear blue skies very often, yet every time my husband texts me a picture on his way home, the sky looks like this:


Ahhh...I could get used to that. 

Look, a second floor! And a porch roof!  


Things are finally moving in the right direction here. We are one of two houses going up on our street right now, and they framed the other house first so we were feeling like whiny preschoolers impatient for our turn. (Wait, is this where my children learn it from?? ;)

My husband talked to the PM yesterday. We were anxious for an update as PM was on vacation last week and not much happened until the week's end.

View of morning room and family room

He said he is hoping to put the roof on tomorrow and have all of the mechanical stuff done over the next week. Wahoo!

 
Basement floor poured

Then the week after that he wants to do the pre-drywall meeting/walk through. Naturally, that is the week we are with my family on vacation. I say naturally, because the closing on our current home is set for that week, too. Thankfully, we are only vacationing 90 minutes away this year (which is a big change for us) so we can drive back for these things while leaving the kids with Grandma and Grandpa at the lake. You know, a little closing, a little pre-drywall meeting...possibly a date night and drink sans kids, ha ha.

Turns out the weeks of waiting in the rain and storms and more rain ... will probably push us back a little. Originally we had a Sep. 3 settlement date...then our PM got us all excited by saying it would be mid to end of August.

Now, he's amended that to the first or second week of September. Darn.

We are clear to lock in a rate with NVR, so we are watching rates closely and evaluating the whole points thing. Rates are updated at 11am every day, so one of these days when the feeling is right, we'll pounce. :) Gotta figure out when that Bernanke guy is going to talk again... ha. Regardless, I am trying to remember that when my parents built in 1979, interest rates were in the 12s. And I'm upset that they went from 3 to 4.

5 comments:

  1. Love the view of Morning room with all the (future)windows!! Looks like lots going with you guys....vacation sounds very good! :-)

    All the best with the rate hunting, it can be stressful but once its done you can relax and watch your house being built. That's a great motivation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like whiny preschooler too LOL...Is it just me or is the framing of your home really moving fast?? And your morning room has 4 windows! I can't say that I've seen this before. Ours has 3 on the back wall and gives the option of 2 additional on one side. I hope you're not a vampire because you are going to have a ton of sunlight! I hope you all get a good rate, we aren't at that point yet, but I've been keeping an eye on the National/State average.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After waiting weeks and weeks through rain, it doesn't feel fast enough! haha

      Yes, the Oakmont has 4 morning room windows - we could have opted for two more on the side as well but it didn't seem necessary. We got two extra (smaller) windows in the family room since we got the extension but not a fireplace. The PM didn't have these on our plans at first so I spoke up because the SR had promised them...and sure enough I was right. Since we have the dark kitchen cabinets I wanted to make sure we had a good amount of light.

      I wish we could have more than just a single glass door from the MR to the (future) deck but with the extension we weren't allowed because there wasn't room. Wondering if this is the same with other models?

      Def not a vampire... in this part of the country we are all dying for sunlight for 6 months out of the year. :)

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain on the rain! We have been set back a ton because of this rain fall! I can't wait to be "under roof"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has gone much faster since we were framed and under roof...but waiting for the weather to clear to get the framing done was so frustrating. When it finally happens, you'll be so happy at the progress you see after that.

      Delete