Friday, July 12, 2013

Dye Test Hell

I wish I had some framing pictures to post, but alas after several weeks of rain, thunderstorms and more rain, we *still* are not framed. Our PM assures us this will happen next week but I'm getting uncomfortable about our closing date and how many weeks we are going to be staying with friends.

But to take my mind off of that, is that fact that we FAILED our dye test on our current home today. It was built in 1972 (mind you, before either of us was born) and apparently whatever geniuses built this house may have routed a French drain into the sanitary sewer, a huge no-no. The plumber and public works can't find any evidence that this was done after the fact as there are no marks in the concrete suggesting it was cut open, so it must have gone in at first construction. IN 1972!! The local government just started requiring dye tests in 2006, after we bought the house in 2004, so the owners right before us would not have had to pass one in order to sell to us.

So as of now, I am waiting for a call back from the plumber to hear how his talk with the public works director went...and if this will cost us hundreds or thousands of dollars. If the pipes are active and not bone dry, we will need a sump pump installed. If they are bone dry and appear to not be active then we may get away with just sealing them off...however, considering how dry our basement is I'm betting it's likely that the drain is working and draining straight where it's not supposed to be. At the very least they will be jackhammering up both the garage and laundry room drains to check, which won't be cheap either. Plus the dye test itself was almost $200. Is this normal?!?

I can't see any logical way to fight this, but can I at least plead how unfair it is for us to have to pay for someone's mistake 40 years ago??

Let's not even discuss climbing interest rates, which were below 3.5 when we first started this building process. I'm just not going to think about it today, I'll think about it tomorrow (h/t Scarlett O'Hara.)

6 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! We failed our dye test as well last summer when we sold our house in Dormont. Our house was even older than yours! It was pure hell. The plumbers quoted us $5,000 to put in a sump pump system! Thankfully my husband is super handy and was able to put in a 4inch French drain tube that was 3 feet long so it would hold 3 gallons of water. Then made a leech bed around that. Thankfully we passed the second time around. It was a very very stressful time. Yes- $200 is normal. Our first test was a little less than that and our second test was $120. (Same company). I feel bad you haven't been framed. The weather has been awful. Just awful. I haven't posted much since we closed but I do try to peek in and see how your progressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your husband!! I'm lucky to have a super handy one too, but this all will depend on whether this probable interior french drain is active. All the township is requiring us to do is dig up both drains and cap these pipes...but if they are active then we don't want to cap them and leave the new owners in a lurch (and open us up to any type of legal action.) We are just praying the drains are old and inactive - we need them to be dry when they are dug up!
      That and I need it to stop raining for a week, lol.

      Delete
    2. By the way, is there some unofficial Ryan blogger list somewhere? How do I let the others know I'm out here? haha

      Delete
    3. Hi Kristy, well you find me another neighbor over here in Orchard Hills! Glad you did, I did not know you were out here thanks for finding me on my blog! Melissa and I talk frequently. Shout out M!

      We lived in WM and our dye test was $70 and we had passed, I am so sorry for your misfortune, if you hubby is handy I am sure there will be a solution.

      As far as your progress that nasty ass storm really but the people that were behind, even MORE behind! It sucks, it really sucks! Our phase 2 is at a turtle pace and Im the last house in Phase 1 so it sucks.

      We have been waiting to have our patios poured in the backyard for what seems to be like forever...

      BTW you know any good electricians?

      Oakmonts seem to be becoming more popular.

      As far as the interest rates, I hear ya, sometimes it's best NOT to look, but I hear they are climbing but ours did that at the time and dropped again when we locked at 3.25, so you just never know.

      Oh, I had thought Majestic Hills was done, or I guess when we looked there they may have been rapping up a phase? I am jealous of your pool and trails, but not of your HOA fee...LOL

      Delete
    4. Hello there Orchard Hills folks! Majestic isn't quite done, but almost. The last phase is supposed to be opened this summer (maybe it's selling already? not sure) so our PM expects it to be all done by the end of 2014.
      I don't know of any electricians...but if end up putting in a sump pump we will need one, so I'll let you know :(
      Our PM said framing was to start this week and I'm going to be in the area around lunchtime, so I'm definitely checking today... I can't believe how many weeks of bad weather we had in a row. I hope 90 degree heat doesn't stop them! I was hoping we'd be in the house in time to take advantage of the pool...one of the deciding factors for us picking MH.

      Delete
  2. I wish you luck! No list- but if you visit my blog and other blogs you can leave a comment and your blog address. You can invite people to your blog that way!

    ReplyDelete